Coming Home by Joshua M

One icy cold day on Christmas Eve, I was in the middle of the woods in an abandoned isolated old broken shed. Then I got out of my teapot, it was a rusty unused kettle.

I said “I should go back to my mum and dad” so I went to fly to my mum and dad. I was exhausted, so I dropped on to a big branch looking for food. An hour later, I finished looking for food. I went upon a branch and I was cold and wet. I was very sad, I did not like that day, it was the worst day ever.

Then I found a place to stay in and it looked like it was nice cosy and warm. I went in there and slept in there.

When I woke up, I saw a ferret and it had a wet black nose surrounded by white whiskers. The ferret crept up on me and tried to eat me. Then I felt terrified. I flew away with my heavy wings. I flew over a blanket of snow and through the mountains that looked like a ball of fluff.  I was extremely exhausted. I stopped for a rest. Suddenly, I heard flapping wings behind me. I panicked and fluttered away. When I looked behind me, I realised that I had escaped danger. It was an enormous hawk with a sharp beak and claws.

I stopped under a big rock, sheltering, resting. I am waiting for a peaceful blue sky and the sun shining in my eyes. I am ready to set of to my next location, the next part of my journey. I can see a lighthouse shining bright in the dark onto the blue sea ocean.

The storm came again. Enormous waves in the distance. It was lightening crashing thunder. My wings are very heavy like a stone weight. I felt tired and cold. Suddenly, I can see a boat like an island in the middle of the ocean. A giant monstrous wave hits me. I was out of control, I was swept and rolled along the deck. Drowning! Choking! Will I ever see my home again?

I see big black boots coming towards me, the big hands reaching for me. The hands carefully scooped me up and put me in a box to keep me safe and alive. He gave me some bird food and some bread crumbs.

The next morning, it was a calm and nice day. The man’s hands were freezing and kindly pushed me into the air as he let me go. I’m stronger again, off on my way, I’m going home. My beating wings were flapping as fast as I never did before. I’m nearly there.

Exhausted, I got there. I see my home. When I landed on the round wooden table, I found lovely food but something is missing. Where is she? My heart is beating for her. I’ll call her. Then as quick as a flash she arrived. She asked me “Where were you?”

I told her that I was here and there because I did not want to worry or scare her. Finally, we enjoyed our special Christmas meal together in happiness.

– Josh (5P)

1 thought on “Coming Home by Joshua M”