Diary Entry in the perspective of a evacuee. By Honey 6L

Dear Diary,

I waited for the train to arrive at my feet. I got on effortlessly as I began to find a seat. The train was crowded with sad and happy children. I looked out of the window to find that my parents were not here beside me and out on the platform crying helplessly. the train started to chug along. I began to feel more miserable than ever. I looked out of the window and their silhouettes had disappeared in the smoke. I sat there with tears rolling down my face. I did not know what was going on. I have never been without my parents before and I feel powerless. I’m lost without them.They have such great knowledge and I don’t know what I will do with my future. What will it become? I sat there for a while and fell asleep. I awoke several minutes later. I was wondering what was going on. Children where nudging and barging each other to get out first. Soon after, I got out to find myself outside a hall. I went in to find the hall was  filled with hurrying people but kind hearted faces. Some kind ladies brought some Biscuits and juice for us all to enjoy. There was a man at the other side of the hall signing children and adults in. The adults had come in to choose children to come and stay with them whilst the war was going on. It was clearing quickly. All of the strong boys got picked first so they could help with the work around the house. It cleared until there was only me and a little by left. I hung my head low thinking about my parents. What will happen to then? When will I see them again. I filled with sadness that pools of tears come gushing out of my eyes. The little boy asked if I was alright and he comforted me. We talked for a while of where we came from and introduced ourselves. The boy’s name was Thomas. I was very glad that I had met him. He was a very polite boy but was pale and weak. It was finally noon. A young looking woman came into to the hall. Her name was Elizabeth Swanzee and she was 32 years old. Elizabeth took a look a both of us. She made her mind up quickly. Happily, with a smile strung across her face, she said she would take us bothe. I was very pleased I got to go home with Thomas. He was like the brother I never had. Hand in hand we walked out if the hall all smiling with great content filled with compassion. Her house was very big and I guess I liked my new home with Elizabeth and Thomas it was very quiet when we unpacked and got ready for bed. For tea we ate bacon and in London bacon is very special. Thomas and I shared a room next to Elizabeth’s. It was quite cosy and warm. I hugged my teddy close and waited of what would happen tomorrow. Would it be bad or good.

Well that is all for tonight,

Beverly Appleby

age 12

12 November, 1939